Sunday, August 17, 2008

it just makes sense...

The whole world of parenting is new to me. I was thrust into it not knowing much. There was one thing I knew: I was going to love this baby more than anything, but she wasn't going to rule my life. I wanted my sleep, I wanted routine and I wanted to know what to expect. At 5 1/2 months, I basically have that. I don't believe people when they say "my baby doesn't like the crib" or "my baby will only sleep on me"... A baby cannot make these decisions; you are making them for him. Call me lucky, but I have a baby who slept in her crib from day one, has slept through the night since she was 6 weeks old and successfully naps in her crib 3 times a day. I did read "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" by Tracey Hogg when my daughter was 2 weeks old, because I was hell bent on getting her into a routine ASAP. Everthing she stated made sense and I wondered why the whole world wasn't doing this. One of her lines was "do as you mean to go on"- meaning, if you're doing something now with your baby, be prepared to continue doing this for months or even years to come. She suggests the EASY method... eat, activity, sleep, you time. This totally made sense. I never question why my daughter is crying because based on EASY, it's as clear as water. I've preached my ways to people who are struggling with their baby, but most people would prefer to go on doing what isn't working. My way makes sense to me, seems the most logical and easy way and makes my life easy and breezy. I sometimes feel like I'm in my own world and wonder why people just don't "get it".

1 comment:

AC/EC said...

You preach the truth and I am sooooo with you! I think that some people get caught up in the wonderfulness of the moment and don't project into the future and realize what they might be setting themselves up for. It DOES just make sense.