Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Milestones

I am amazed. I wish my 2 year could stay 2 forever. It's a great age. Everyday, we notice something new: a new word, a different habit, a mannerism. Today, I realized, while colouring with Carys, that she was actually concentrating and trying to colour between the lines. When did that happen? How does that happen? It's not like I told her she should stay between the lines. And then, later, she surprised me by saying "Maman, des cercles". What? You can draw circles? And the number 1 too? How did she suddenly know how to draw circles or the number 1. Or string together 5 words or more together? I want to bottle up these milestones forever. I want to save them. The newness of them. I never want to forget them. Something so innocent and sweet and maybe insignificant as trying so hard to colour a teeny circle is so, so special. The smile she gives me when I show her how excited I am at her new accomplishment is, quite
possibly, the best.

Here, she even uses 2 different colours. This is also something new.


And these are what circles look like.


Oh, and Paisley. I can't forget those incredible baby milestones. How did she suddenly learn how to reach and grab at things or squeal with delight or go into mini convulsion mode when she sees her bottle or notice the dogs and smile?


Milestones. Incredible. Crazy. Impossible to capture them all- just like when a new flower blooms. Does anyone ever see the flower open up and blossom? I guess it's just one of those things that happen overnight. That's just it- milestones just happen.

No comments: