
Daniel Lanois... if you don't know of him, I suggest you take the time to listen to his music. He is a musical genius.... and a French Canadian too. He has co-produced U2's album "the Unforgettable Fire", then went on to produce "Joshua Tree". Bono of U2 recommended Daniel Lanois to Bob Dylan in the late 1980s; in 1989 he produced Dylan's "Oh Mercy", widely considered one of Dylan's greatest later albums. He has produced many artists' music such as: Robbie Roberston, Peter Gabriel, The Neville Brothers and Hothouse Flowers. He has also worked and collaborated with many more artists, namely: Emmy-Lou Harris, Dave Matthews and The Tragically Hip. His music is beautiful and so is his presence on stage. There's something about him... something I can't quite figure out. I feel like I should know him personally. I feel like we should be friends. Maybe we were in former life. Most people don't have a clue who he is, but some have heard of his song "Jolie Louise", which was written about his father.
I was lucky enough to see him perform in Toronto last year. This year, another tour date was set for Drayton, not far from here. Darren bought us tickets and it was going to be our first date out alone since the arrival of our sweet little baby. I was excited. Grand-maman was coming to babysit with uncle Jack, only uncle Jack decided he was going to tag along to the concert. No, I'm not kidding. I was slightly annoyed. Okay, very annoyed. The night was ruined and to be honest, I really didn't want to go anymore. Was it selfish to want a night alone with my husband after 8 months? Anyway, Darren convinced me that I should still go and thankfully he did. We arrived at the venue which was the tiniest, most intimate place for a show (this, in my opinion, is how it should always be) . We had 4th row seats and I was in absolute heaven watching this amazing performer. My mouth remained open in awe for much of the 2 hour performance while Daniel Lanois sang with his unmistakable voice, played with his amazing guitar talent and chatted to us with his humble and sweet personality. What amazed me even more was his incredible ability to play with his band mates (or his compadres, as he referred to them) whom he had randomly selected from the USA and Mexico. They played and sang in harmony as though they'd always played together. It was impressive. His music touches my soul.
So, the show was coming to an end and my hand began to itch and it wouldn't stop. If you knew my mother, you'd remember that she was very superstitious: if your left hand was itchy, you were going to win some money; if your right hand was itchy, you were going to shake hands with someone. Well, it was my left hand. The show ends, we stand, applaud and make our way out. Darren notices Daniel talking to spectators. He thinks we should go and meet him. I am nervous and shy... embarrassed, maybe.... but we make our way towards him. He is chatting and shaking hands with people. I want to turn around. Suddenly, he makes eye contact with us and makes his way towards me. As I extend my hand and shake his, I say "merci beaucoup" and he proceeds to hug me while I say "je t'adore". It all happened so fast. How did I get so lucky? I didn't see anyone else get a hug. Darren is shocked and happy for me all the same. So, as we leave that little theatre in Drayton, I am beaming and sitting on cloud nine. I think back to my itchy hand. Sure, it wasn't my left hand, but meeting Daniel Lanois felt like a windfall nonetheless. But then again, maybe my mother got the whole itchy right/left hand thing mixed up.
I was lucky enough to see him perform in Toronto last year. This year, another tour date was set for Drayton, not far from here. Darren bought us tickets and it was going to be our first date out alone since the arrival of our sweet little baby. I was excited. Grand-maman was coming to babysit with uncle Jack, only uncle Jack decided he was going to tag along to the concert. No, I'm not kidding. I was slightly annoyed. Okay, very annoyed. The night was ruined and to be honest, I really didn't want to go anymore. Was it selfish to want a night alone with my husband after 8 months? Anyway, Darren convinced me that I should still go and thankfully he did. We arrived at the venue which was the tiniest, most intimate place for a show (this, in my opinion, is how it should always be) . We had 4th row seats and I was in absolute heaven watching this amazing performer. My mouth remained open in awe for much of the 2 hour performance while Daniel Lanois sang with his unmistakable voice, played with his amazing guitar talent and chatted to us with his humble and sweet personality. What amazed me even more was his incredible ability to play with his band mates (or his compadres, as he referred to them) whom he had randomly selected from the USA and Mexico. They played and sang in harmony as though they'd always played together. It was impressive. His music touches my soul.
So, the show was coming to an end and my hand began to itch and it wouldn't stop. If you knew my mother, you'd remember that she was very superstitious: if your left hand was itchy, you were going to win some money; if your right hand was itchy, you were going to shake hands with someone. Well, it was my left hand. The show ends, we stand, applaud and make our way out. Darren notices Daniel talking to spectators. He thinks we should go and meet him. I am nervous and shy... embarrassed, maybe.... but we make our way towards him. He is chatting and shaking hands with people. I want to turn around. Suddenly, he makes eye contact with us and makes his way towards me. As I extend my hand and shake his, I say "merci beaucoup" and he proceeds to hug me while I say "je t'adore". It all happened so fast. How did I get so lucky? I didn't see anyone else get a hug. Darren is shocked and happy for me all the same. So, as we leave that little theatre in Drayton, I am beaming and sitting on cloud nine. I think back to my itchy hand. Sure, it wasn't my left hand, but meeting Daniel Lanois felt like a windfall nonetheless. But then again, maybe my mother got the whole itchy right/left hand thing mixed up.
*some of the information above regarding production credits has been taken from wikepedia.

No comments:
Post a Comment