Monday, December 15, 2008

fare the well, love...

These past 8 years have gone by quickly. So much has happened between then and now.... let's see: Teacher's College, travels, marriage, a baby... I can only imagine what the next 8 will bring. Life continues and you have no clue how 8 years have passed before your very eyes. You have no clue how you lived your life without "her"during these last 8 years. You think about "her" daily and wonder why "she" never had a chance to meet her son-in-law and especially her grand-daughter. You wonder why others are so fortunate to still have "theirs" in their lives.

Lately, (and I'd have to assume that I have my sweet girl to blame) I have thought incessantly about my mother. She pops into my head more than she ever has. I even get the occasional *sign* that she's "there". I am heart-broken that my baby girl has been ripped-off of one of her grand-mamans... that she will never know the love, the generosity and the sweetness of her... that she will never be the recipient of her kisses, hugs and squeezes. Like so many things in life, it simply isn't fair.

So last weekend, as Darren and I indulged in a little pizza and good 'ol Friday night television, we stumbled upon a Rankin Family Christmas special. I've been known to sing along to a few of their tunes.... so I insisted we keep the show on, despite Darren's attempts at channel surfing. There was a reason. You see, my mom was a T.V watcher and more precisely, she loved her Christmas programs: Tommy Hunter, Rita McNeil... whoever. That particular night, I felt something. I felt close to my mom and knew I was doing something she absolutely loved to do, as simple as it was. As I bit into my first bite of pizza, Fare The Well, Love played... I don't think I need to go into much detail as to what happened next....

So for you my sweet mom....

"Fare thee well, love, Fare thee well, love,
Far away, you must go.
Take your heart, love,Take your heart, love,
Will we never meet, again no more?"

2 comments:

Jennifer Richardson said...

You're right. I need a kleenex.

AC/EC said...

Pass one to me, too. I'm sure Carys will come to love your mom through you ...