Monday, July 20, 2009

the white garment... or not


Carys was finally baptised last week. The day went expceptionally well and we feel blessed that our little girl is officially blessed. Carys was one of 7 babies being baptised that day and she was the only one not wearing the official white garment. I didn't think much of it. It is, afterall, 2009 and surely babies could wear colours other than the traditional white. All was good until a blessing was read regarding the white garment, talking of its importance. I was immediately horrified, mortified or whatever you want to call it. I was surprised that this hadn't been discussed during the baptismal meeting months before. Nonetheless, the priest didn't bat an eye or even make any mention of our pretty little girl dressed in peach, no less. Even today, I feel guilty and want to send extend an apology for going against traditional rules. Anyway, I think a confession is due: 1) for dressing my kid in peach and 2) for swearing in church after being completely and utterly flustered.

No comments: