Saturday, January 10, 2009

out with the old and in with the new...

Our little pal *getting into stuff*

2008 was quite a year. Most say it is a year that we will not soon forget. I tend to agree, but for reasons other than what the average person thinks. Let's see, in 2008 I accomplished a lot. I did things I have never done before and things that I may never do again... In 2008, I:
  • had a baby;
  • watched said baby grow from an 8.9 lb newborn into an 18 lb *almost* toddler (how the heck does this happen?);

  • shed more tears than I ever have; both happy and sad tears;

  • lost 34 lbs, but still have more to go;

  • lost part of my sanity;

  • lost part of my memory

  • became a baby chef;

  • became a master entertainer (baby entertainer, that is...) according to my friend Kelly;

  • became oblivious to nasty diaper changes;

  • went several days without showering;

  • discovered that Darren is possibly the best father someone could ever ask for;

  • instinctively walked to my baby's room several times at night to check on her;

  • wondered what I'd gotten myself into, but....

  • shortly after, realized that having a baby was the best thing I had ever done;

  • travelled to Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Mississippi and Mexico;

  • made a plan to give my baby the best life there is....


I know the new year is all about resolutions. For the first time, I don't really have any. My brain refuses to let me make any; although, I've subconsciously resolved to watch what I say in front of Carys. She is a *knowing* little girl who watches me intently while I say something to the dogs. I would hate for her first words to be "Paddy, you da*n dog, get in the frigging house now!", in a tone that is really not appropriate for any household.

I think 2009 will be better, if that's at all possible. I think watching Carys grow and tranform into a toddler will probably be mind blowing. It will be another year of firsts: walking, talking, running... the list can go on. I am anxious for every single one of these firsts, but I'm also apprehensive. I'm enjoying my 10 month old... she is interactive, loveable, snuggable and an overall joy to be around; but, it also saddens me that it will soon be something I look back on. I know, however, that the new year will only bring different kinds joys, different snuggles... she'll be able to vocalize her love for us and show us that she loves us in ways that she can't right now. It will be something to look forward to, so I will gladly embrace what lies ahead in the new year.

No comments: