Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet, sweet donkeys

I love animals- especially farm animals. If I could, I'd love to have a little hobby farm with some sheep, goats, a donkey and some ducks. So, when I heard there was a Donkey Sanctuary just minutes from my house, I knew we HAD to go. And, so, we did. We couldn't believe this place was literally in our backyard. Not only is it a donkey sanctuary, but it's the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada. The sanctuary provides a lifelong home to donkeys and mules that are neglected, abused or no longer wanted. If you've never been around a donkey, you've been missing out. They are one of the sweetest animals I've ever met. Our hearts melted when we arrived.


--
Donkeys live for approximately 40-50 years, so they often out live their owner- this is why there are so many donkeys surrendered to the Sanctuary. This little guy was one of them and comes from Quebec so he loves it when you speak to him in French (lucky us!). If you take a look at the little donkey in the background of this picture- well, he was, sadly, beaten over the head with a shovel. So, so sad. I wanted to cry when I heard this. He is starting to be less timid around people.

--
Here, in the barn, are the donkeys that love to be around people. You can brush them and pet them. There are also a couple of sheep there and 2 new goats who are still a little skiddish around people, but they'll still follow you around. They just don't like it when you get too close to them.
--
Feeding time.
--
And when they're not feeding, most of them just like to hang out.
--
And, here, is Summer. Sweet, sweet Summer. She is the oldest donkey at the sanctuary at 40. She just likes to stand there and get scratched. When you move away, she comes closer to you for more scratches. I wanted to take her home.





--
This is Chiclet, the mule. Carys was in love with her too.

--
And, in case you wanted to:
--
These are the 2 new resident goats. I could have taken them home too.


--
Taking a break in the shade.

--
Those donkeys (and mules, sheep and goats) have definitely imprinted on our hearts and have left an ever-lasting impression. We'll be back and it won't be long.

No comments: