Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

I am no saint. I've been known to spew out a few choice words on more than one occasion- probably more than I should. I've been curbing the need to belt one out even though it is so satisfying and gratifying to use the not-so-eloquent f-word when something really ticks you off.

Carys repeats everything and every word we say- even the not-so-nice words. You might only say the word once, but the next day, she uses the word as part of her vocabulary. How that happens, I don't know. What I do know is that my kid doesn't need to sound like a trucker at the ripe old age of 2.5. She is too sweet and kind to use that type of language and it's not very becoming even when you get older. Recently, I yelled at the dog to go and lay down. Carys intervened herself and said: "go take a hike"--- then a pause---- "you little b*tch". I couldn't help but laugh (as I turned away), but at the same time, I wondered when and where she heard that word. I had obviously said the b-word once. While it was kind of cute because it was said more in a sweet manner than anything, I realised that it's not really the kind of "talk" I want coming out of her mouth- sweet or not. Would she then say this to her little friend at daycare? Could you imagine? On another occasion, I was looking at something and said "Jesus" and she said "Christ". That one floored me because I make a conscious effort not to say that around her, but she obviously heard it at some point.
--
Does this look like the face of a kid with a foul mouth?


All this bad word filtering has forced me to use some nicer expressions to release my frustration- like jeepers creepers and holy cow. I refuse to have a potty mouthed kid, so it all stops now. No more bad words around here.

1 comment:

AC/EC said...

I am laughing out LOUD! She really is just like her mommy! Good lord!! But take solace in that you're not the only one "teaching" their kids bad things to say. I'm learning to bite my tongue as well.