Friday, July 9, 2010

Rainy days

It rained today for the first time in a while. We needed it. It's been a bazillion degrees celsius for the past few days, so it was nice to welcome a little reprieve from the heat. Not much reprieve, but it cooled down a few degrees to make it somewhat tolerable. We welcomed this rainy day because it allowed us to do stuff around the house without feeling guilty for not being outside. Carys had other intentions. She wanted to go sit in the car. This is a new thing and we let her do it (without keys in the ignition, of course) because she likes to sit there for hours. She pretends she's driving and will stop at the drive-thru to get me a double-double and some doughnuts. She knows me well.


---
Today, though, I had to sit in the car with her.
--
Paisley was napping so I brought the phone and the monitor in the car and settled in for a good, oh.... I'd say 2 hours?? It was enough time to receive a furniture delivery, to welcome the deck contractor, to see off the deck contractor, to welcome him back again, to answer a lenghthy call from my financial advisor's assistant and to practically have a nap myself. We switched seats, reclined seats, pretend drove, danced (her, not me) sang to U2, ordered a million doughnuts, drank some water, snacked on some cookies found on the floor (her, again, not me), accidentally beeped the horn one too many times, chatted and chatted and chatted some more. I must have repeated "no, Carys" about 2 million times (is there really an alternative to "no" when your kid wants to touch things that she's not supposed to?) and finally she said: "I want to go in the house now"- I secretly whispered: "Amen to that".
--
-dancing!

--
-resting!
--
---
-and yes, the keys are in the ignition here, but that was after hour #1 sitting in the car and it got kind of boring, so I needed some music. And the soother, you ask? I will explain that in another post- I like to call it a minor set-back.
--
-reclined and enjoying the view: our lovely garage doors.

--
When we got in the house, I was astonished that it was almost 12:30 pm and Paisley was still napping! There was no further mention of "driving the car" that day, but the first thing she said when she woke up the following morning was : "maybe Carys will drive the car today". And, as I answer far too frequently these days: "yes, Carys, later....". Darren took her to the park instead.

1 comment:

AC/EC said...

"une moment, Carys." :) What a doll she is!